4 Sons & Sons

A discussion of Pesah/Passover generally and the Hagadah specifically. Please comment and contribute!

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Favorite Hagadot

My Dad suggested that I poll my regular readers for their favorite Hagadot. His votes (which I heartily agree with) are the classic Maxwell House Hagadah and the Moss Hagadah which is one of the most exquisite books ever produced. I also like the Guggenheimer "Scholar's Haggadah" which presents the Ashkenazic, Sephardic and Yemenite versions side by side as well as a detailed commentary.

One bit of housekeeping. As far as I can tell, I have 3 more or less regular readers (everyone else say hi so I knows you exist!). One posts comments interspersed with Hebrew. The other 2 don't read Hebrew. I don't want to ask folks to stop posting be-'Ivrit, but perhaps you could inlcude the English and/or transliterated words? Or not. We'll see what works. I just want this blog to be accessable and interesting to the widest audience possible.

Speaking of which, let's see if I can get Hebrew to work : ממי אפחד

Ok, to look forward to: A guest post from my Dad on the murderer we once had at our seder. One from Skully on food-related folklore and symbolic foods at the seder. And the Saintly Woman tells us why she hates the four sons so much. Looking forward to more guest-posting. Don't be shy. No post too scholarly or too silly.

8 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Dan Rabinowitz said...

I am a huge fan of R. Kasher's hagadah, although not a pictoral wonder like Moss, the content and the insights can't be beat.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Tam said...

That's a good one. I've only read the English translation which I believe is abridged as well. One day, when my Hebrew skills improve, I'm tackling that one. I'll be mentioning R. Kasher when I do a post on the 5th cup.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

Who are the 3 regular readers?

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Tam said...

That would be you, the Saintly Woman and Skully. Perhaps I can add Dan to the list. Hopefully more. Pipe up, folks!

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Saintly Woman, The said...

By the way, thanks to everyone who includes translations of Hebrew-language inclusions. I greatly appreciate it.

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous shoshyrivky said...

You can consider me a regular reader, though as you know I have little to add (even when I can get a word in edgewise at the seder).

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Tam said...

Well, here's the perfect chance to get a word in edgewise. I'm sure that you can add something worthwhile.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Tam said...

And Shosh (I refuse to type "shoshyrivky"), I'm sure that between school, your new job (has that started yet?) and 2 young children, you have plenty of time to contribute a guest-post.

Oh crap. I did type "shoshyrivky". Twice now! I guess that's what Kol nidre is for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker