4 Sons & Sons

A discussion of Pesah/Passover generally and the Hagadah specifically. Please comment and contribute!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Drinking Tip

R. Yitschak Berkowitz of Aish Hatorah (I'm not a big fan of Aish, but I like R. Berkowitz) suggests drinking water throughout the seder. This way you won't have to say a berakhah aharonah for the wine. I think there are some folks (Yemenite maybe? I need the Guggenheimer book! Too bad I don't believe in Hanukah presents) that actually do say a berakhah aharonah after every cup. R. Berkowitz's suggestion has the added benefit of keeping you hydrated as you drink all that wine. Especially for an alchoholic lightweight like myself.

7 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

a berakhah aharonah after every cup

There existed an opinion in Ga'onic times that one should say a berokho aharôno after the first cup, but I'm not sure whether anyone practices this today.

I don't see why anyone would ever have said a berokho aharôno after the second cup, for Birkas Hammozôn should cover it. (Unless you hold that Birkath Hammozôn covers only bread and bread-dips; see the link.)

You are probably thinking of the practice of those who follow the Bêth Yôsêf (most contemporary Sepharadim), which is to say a berokho rishôno before every cup.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Anonymous the Cat said...

Too bad I don't believe in Hanukah presents

What's your problem with Hanukah presents?

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Tam said...

MG: You're right. I shouldn't be blogging from memory about halakhic issues.

A the C: Welcome! Good luck on your new blog. I'm a little uncomfortable with Hanukah presents since they are essentially Christmas presents for Jews. I'm also not a big Hanukah fan in general and I will, God willing explain that in a few weeks. Also, as the Saintly Woman can tell you, I'm not that good at getting people holiday and birthday presents. I am, however, a good spontaneous present giver.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger skully said...

this year, i hope tam will allow conchita to give him a small chanukah present, because she wants to give him a barely chewed rawhide bone. she's generous that way.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Oh, I'm not so machmir that I'll turn down a present. Particularly from Conchita whom I hope to meet after Shabat. I think my feeling on the issue is best described as "uncomfortable" I knew the headline "drinking tip" would get Skully's full attention.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous ShoshyRivky said...

No Chanukkah presents? OK, ignore package sent to the Saintly Woman.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Tam said...

The Saintly Woman is not obligated to follow my humrahs. Not by a long shot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker